At its core, digital transformation is a simple concept. Digital transformation is the process of migrating your firm’s analog data, legacy systems, and manual processes to a single, modernized cloud-based platform. It enables you to analyze huge swaths of data in unique ways to maximize efficiencies, reduce costs, and deliver a better customer experience.
Of course, implementing a cloud-based ERP system as part of an overall digital transformation effort is a huge undertaking. In fact, an astonishingly low 16% of executives describe their firm’s digital transformation efforts as “successful” according to research from McKinsey & Company.
Why exactly is the digital transformation success rate so low? At Single Source Systems, Inc., we can think of 5 reasons.
- No C-Suite Support: The success of any digital transformation effort starts at the top. A digital transformation project needs at least one true believer (ideally more) within the C-Suite continuing to cheerlead for the project and convincing their peers that it’s a crucial endeavor that will yield positive results. Without that person stepping on the accelerator, the entire project will most likely run out of steam.
- Employee Ennui: Just as you need support from the top down, you also need support from the bottom up. After all, employees are going to be the ones working with the system day in and day out? If they aren’t excited and on board with the change, then it’s going to be tough to succeed. One way to combat this is to gather employee feedback about what features or customizations the ERP system should have. Employees will feel valued knowing that their opinions are helping shape the larger initiative. Another key to keeping employees engaged is frequent and transparent communication. Leadership needs to let employees know what the benefits are to the company and to them. And, repeat those messages often.
- Surprise, change is hard: Another reason why it’s so challenging for firms to make the analog to digital switch is simply that we, as humans, find change hard. We’re creatures of habit and enjoy what’s familiar to us even if there are better options available. It’s the same reason we long for our way outdated cell phones after getting the latest model. We know the new one is better, but we’re so comfortable with the old one. Again, leadership is key to overcoming this challenge. They need to continue to be the cheerleaders of change. In addition, ensuring that all employees are properly trained and have ongoing technical support after the switch can help increase confidence and enthusiasm among the workforce.
- Refusing to go “all in.” This is kind of a continuation of number 3. Some companies may implement an ERP, but not be quite ready to “rip off the bandage” and wind up running several disconnected legacy systems alongside their brand-new ERP. This creates a potential situation where some employees may still be using the legacy systems while others are using the ERP, while still others toggle between the two. This can even cause more work and confusion as employees sort through conflicting and/or redundant information. Having your legacy systems running parallel to your new ERP for a limited period of time is fine. Just make sure you have a definite date and process for sun-setting the legacy system and going fully digital.
- Not having the right partner: Choosing the right partner to help you implement your ERP system is just as important as choosing to undergo digital transformation in the first place. As an Acumatica partner, Single Source Systems, Inc. is ready and able to assist you with getting your Acumatica ERP system into place and running smoothly. Acumatica offers ERP software that can be customized to your business, thereby accelerating your return on investment, and decreasing the time spent training employees.
When failure just isn’t an option, you can count on Single Source Systems, Inc. We have specialized in technology solutions to help build efficient business operations for more than 35 years. If you would like to learn more about how cloud-based ERP software can transform your business or schedule a free Acumatica demo, contact us today!
For more content like this, be sure to follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter, or check out our other blog posts and be sure to like and subscribe to our channels! Or, if you would like to learn more right away, visit our website at Single Source Systems, Inc. – Software Services & Solutions or contact me directly.